Hi,
Agreed. One thing about freeware verses commercial is the commercial developers have to make a more superior product than the freeware products already on the market. This is good old competition and that often is the driving force behind innovation and better products. So using your baseball example it is true that Jim Kitchens baseball game is a fun and a nice free game. However, a commercial developer would have to make a better one to sell it. A developer might add a full season mode, higher quality sound effects, more commercials, perhaps a real commentator, etc. Then, by doing so he/she would have made a superior product.

Johnny Tai wrote:
I too believe in paying for good games. Though I never made an audio game my self, being a writer of novels and music, I sort of am in the same boat- a clap on the shoulder and a 'good job' is just not enough to keep my rent paid. However, I think the reality is that if someone can come up with something equal to, or even better than, what's selling, and is willing to let it go for free... Well, who am I to say that is wrong? All the more power to such a person, and in the long run, all that means is that those who wish to sell their products would have to work even harder to come up with something far better than the free stuffs. For example, if someone wants to sell an audio game based on baseball, it'd probably be a hard contest since Jim Kitchen's got a free one out there that is already real nice. But we cannot degrade Jim for that.