Hi Charles,
There are a variety of open source licenses, but in general it means the source is free and open to the public. You can modify it, recompile it, make versions for different platforms, do whatever you want with it because the software and source code is public property. For non-programmers it means a completely free game to play. One reason I've been thinking of an open source Monte clone is the fact I'd be free of any commercial licensing restrictions. Plus I'd be able to experiment with using some open source based APIs such as SDL for gaming. Instead of making a Windows only game using DirectX and other Windows APIs I could move to an open source standard and design games that would run on Mac, Linux,and Windows. As Dark has already suggested probably the only major changes I'd have to make is the name of the game and the main character. Take out Panama Joe and Montezuma's Revenge and use something else. With the fact it is free and open source I doubt I'll be bothered with any copyright issues. I could say it is like Montezuma's Revenge, but not actually be Montezuma's Revenge. Grin.

Charles Rivard wrote:
Is an open source game one that can be worked on by any programmer who acquires it? If so, what can they do with it once it is to their liking?