Hi Charles,
That's one way of looking at it. Back in 1980 when Space Invaders came out the internet didn't exist, 3d graphics technology hadn't been invented yet, and the Atari only had 2600 K memory. A game like DC Universe Online simply would not have been possible on a system like that. Now, we have the Play Station 3. Sony Entertainment has licensed the DC Comic's characters from DC Comics and plans to release a masssive multiplayer game called DC Universe Online soon. Do to the Play Station's network based game play it is possible to basically join the Justice League or the League of Doom and battle it out in places like Matropolis, Gothom City, and so on. Such a massive roll playing game was not possible 29 years ago, but it is possible now. Game developers have taken advantage of the technological improvements, and therefore the game industry has definitely evolved from its origins.