I saw a perfect example of simplicity and addictive game play never
dying a few days ago actually.  Played a gig at quite a swanky venue
here in London, and to our delight we discovered a big retro looking
arcade cab loaded with a game called backstage invaders.  From what I
could tell it was a complete rip-off of the original space invaders,
just with music notation falling from the sky and a ton of other muso
references thrown in to keep people amused.  So simple, but addictive
to the point that I've never seen these 3 guys and girl so
pre-occupied with something during the hours of frustration us
smalltimers endure before each show.  These are people who own PSP's
and the like, who even had his with him in one case, but chose retro
instead.  Luckily, the beep boop noises were just about good enough
for me to follow along with what was happening, so a vicarious
afternoon of backstage invaders was had.