Hmmm Tom, the question does occur to me why the organizers of the closing the gap conference don't just organize more events.

there is a sight village in scotland which indeed would be an hour by train from Durham, one in bermingham which would be about four hours (though sinse my parents live in Nottingham which is much closer I'd just go and visit them on the way), and one in London which I could get to in about 3 hours, ---- though mostly because there is a train streight there.

New for this year, They're also runing a sight village exhibition in county Cork in the republic of Ireland.

This would be a good deal harder for me to get too, and would require a flight and overnight accommodation much as you describe, ----- but when shows are run in much more convenient locales, ---- well missing Ireland is something I could live with indeed.

Beware the grue!