Hi Dark,
Well, I guess the main reason would be that there are a number of blind conferences of one kind or another throughout the year like ACB, NFB, Closing the Gap, etc so there are plenty of them, but it just so happens they are in places too far for me to travel to very easily. There are a number of Linux accessibility conferences out there I'd love to go to, as well but they usually get scheduled for a place like Los Angeles which is on the other side of the country. Obviously, a couple thousand miles is a bit far to go to see what new adaptive technologies are about to be released.

dark wrote:
Hmmm Tom, the question does occur to me why the organizers of the closing the gap conference don't just organize more events.

there is a sight village in scotland which indeed would be an hour by train from Durham, one in bermingham which would be about four hours (though sinse my parents live in Nottingham which is much closer I'd just go and visit them on the way), and one in London which I could get to in about 3 hours, ---- though mostly because there is a train streight there.

New for this year, They're also runing a sight village exhibition in county Cork in the republic of Ireland.

This would be a good deal harder for me to get too, and would require a flight and overnight accommodation much as you describe, ----- but when shows are run in much more convenient locales, ---- well missing Ireland is something I could live with indeed.

Beware the grue!