From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of dark
Sent: 02 December 2009 00:49
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] history was: Promotion was:Screen Readers and Games

Well Tom, ---- yes and no.

I first got on the net full time in 2002, in my first year in colidge.

At that point though, I'd only ever played games on games consoles, and
while I knew that there were games for pc, I supposed that they were all
either hyper complex graphically unplayable affairs, ---- or near impossible

to run complicated emulation type things, ----- believe it or not, there was

a time when i had no confidence in my own technical knolidge even on how to
basically run a program or download files from the net.

I'd used my laptop to read d&d rules and play tabletop games, --- but not to

actually play games myself.

In 2003, I read something in a braille magazine which mentioned the
whitestic.co.uk site and their online games page.

I looked, and then got very interested in brouser based things and, ----
after some very kind help from tom lorimer who runs that site, ----
interactive fiction, just using standard interpreters like win frotz and win

tads, with no tts.

I did actually download the win frotz tts, but as my old laptop had windows
98, and I hadn't even heard of sapi, I just assumed the voice component was
broken, and read the text with hal.

I did read Tom lorimers page about offline games, ---- but to be brutally
honest, none of those mentioned at that time, --- -which looked to be mostly

board crossword and card affairs, seemed interesting to me, ---- and I
actually assumed that audio computer games were nice litle things which some

kind and generous charities had set up to give the poor pathetic blind
people something to do
with their time.

My only defense is this is indeed an atitude i've encountered a lot in
services or companies who work with visually impared people over here, ----

and while I was wrong to pre-judge everyone who did Vi friendly stuff as
being of that motivation, ---- it is also true that certain people and
organizations stil very much are!

I did look at a couple of links on that page, --- -I remember once reading
the manual for Vip gameszone's galaxy ranger, ---- but the lack of demo
time, ---- as well as the rather worrying technical idea of downloading a
program put me off trying it.

Also, sinse it was 2003-5, and I was stil using a laptop with windows 98,
there was a compatibility question too.

I tried literally hundreds of on line brouser based games (which is why I
have so strong opinions of them now). The one i played most at that point
was legend of the green dragon, ---- which I was deeply impressed with at
the time, sinse it was the only online game I could find with even a shred
of exploration to it.

Then, in late 2004 while I was working on my masters, I ran across
Sryth, ---- which frankly blew me away! I literally spent 48 hours just
playing the thing constantly!

Ekitraina was actually my third character on Sryth, and the only one I tried

who had half way decent randomly generated stats.

In 2005 I got a desktop with xp, --- which I first played Sryth on, ---- and

a litle later at that point I got into conversation with Bryan peterson on
the Sryth forums.

when I found out he was also visually impared we exchanged pms for a while,
and we at length discovered we shared an interest in game music, ---- and
games.

I mentioned wanting to play something exploration based, and bryan told me
first about the then in developement castle quest, ---- and about shades of
doom.

he provided me the links both to Gma games and audiogames.net, and I went
and downloaded shades in november of 2005, then registered for the
audiogames.net forum in december.

The rest as they say, ---- is history!

Beware the grue!