Hi Mike,

While it is true side-scrollers had their origins in the early to mid 1980's that doesn't mean the format can't be used in modern styles and genres of games. As Dark has so often pointed out many of the games of the 90's were side-scrollers too, but were far more advanced, challenging, and more feature packed than their 80's predecessors.

Take my game, Mysteries of the Ancients, as an example here. Even though it is a side-scroller it has more in common with FPS type games than older classic side-scrollers. It has random enemies, random items, save and load game features, high quality music and sounds, is quite challenging on higher difficulty levels, and is far more complex and better than any80's side-scroller that came before it. So the idea that a side-scroller can't be modern is simply not true. They can be provided they are developed with a modern format and features in mind.

Cheers!

mike maslo wrote:
Phillip:

Well me personally although I do not programming at all, I would like to see
more advanced games then the side scroller. I want to get out of the 80's or
70's and get to the 21st century.

I want to see a tool that offers us the opportunity to make games that
challenge us and the scripting language maybe some type of forum or new
email group can be formed for those who are having problems with the program
and can ask those who are more experienced in scripting when questions
arise.