well I'm with you there.
nec had an issue where the system was broke but they didn't care and didn't
think anything was wrong.
I have had my toshiba get rather hot during the summer months it does put out
heat like an open fire.
However I would know if the fans were failing they tend to change pitch and
rattle.
One reason why I replaced my fan in my satelite was because it made bad noises.
The system will also  shut off if its to hot.
And if something was failing I could run a diagnostic.
its quite visual to start but puts out a good report including serial and other
numbers of parts.
if something was wrong I could put the issue down tell support and I'd either
get it serviced or do it myself.
Another thing with toshiba is the fact they are flexable, their recovery
partitions are usable by us blinks from within the system to make the rec disks
or dvds the dvds themself are not accessible however I think for a small price
say 100 bucks you can replace them and if you have a lagit concern I think they
may be flexable.
On nec
I had to really go almost legal to get the recovery partition removed after it
mangled itself and then get a cd I still needed a boot disk.
Thats the last time I let a funding agency tell me what and where I can get my
stuff from.
 the cheapest pace and cheapist system all turn out to be crap, never had such
a load of issues from  my computer.
On the subject of the toshiba tts voice its not with every system though
support will probably tell you that if you want a spaciffic something some
programs are universal you just have to find em.
I did not like the voice myself I pulled it once.