Hi Shaun,
Yeah, most Del laptops I've seen have a Soundmax AC-97 sound card on them. It isn't the world's greatest sound card for games and multimedia, but it is ok. The one thing I happen to like about that sound card is the AC-97 is a very generic chipset and works with just about everything Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, etc right out of the box without requiring additional drivers. I happen to have that card in my Linux desktop, and it sounds better with games than the Creative Labs cards do. I actually removed my Audegy card from the system, because it constantly popped and hissed with both the Windows and Linux drivers so there is definitely something wrong with that card. Replacement cards were no better. So I'm actually happier with my cheap Soundmax card than the Audegy I went out and purchased extra. As for Toshiba they only make laptops. I've never known of a Toshiba desktop, because if there was one I think I'd go out and buy it. Although, I hand built my Linux desktop, and it is a much higher end system than the store brand computers. Building your own is almost always better bcause you can pick and choose every component that goes into th system insuring a high end reliable machine. Definitely desirable for gaming.

Cheers!