Hi Dark,

Certainly a few things for me to think about, though as I have never played any games for the sighted it is a little hard for me to relate to them in practise. I follow your theories without any difficulty, but am still not quite clear on how to do this with audio. For instance, what sort of sound would a wolf make before it attacks? And another problem with that is, do we really want to cut the wolf growling loop off at an arbitrary point in time? This is fine if you can cover it with a loud hitting sound like when your club makes contact, but if you do it to warn about an attack there would not be any covering and you would get a horrible choppy sound in many instances. of course one could use a second sound layer and use some sort of swinging noise on top of the growl, but this also detracts a bit from the authentisity. Not that Q9 is at all realistic in itself; it definitely is not, but I'm speaking in more general terms here just with a wolf and a club as the primary examples.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] my Q9 complaints was Re: Q9, heeeeeelp!

Hi Philip.

As I was saying to Thomas regarding mysteries of the ancients earlier, I
really do think more could be done in terms of audio games and attack
avoidence, ---- and using methods which wouldn't be too radical.

Blocking or using a weapon to parry an attack, is one idea. While obviously this would mean shortening the attack sounds, i don't believe it would slow
down the game too much, ---- afterall considder the speed of games like
boppit in which you are essentially reacting to a single short sound.

You could then employ several weapons to block or parry, ---- as has been
done in games like super castlevania in which your magic vampire killer whip
could be placed in any direction to block different attacks (including
magical projectile attacks).

While necessity to listen out for blocking noises is obviously a point, ----
this would also encourage players to be more cautious about engaging many
enemies at once.

Another possible method might be attack avoidence. The Rinos in Q9 run along
the floor and require jumping. Suppose however you use a similar
mechanic, ---- swiftly panning left/right audio which the player must jump,
to create stationary cannons on the ground.

Similar cannons could be added in the air (perhaps with higher pitched
sounds), ---- rather the way the bats currently function.

Other enemies, ---- like the bats, may attempt to get above you and drop
projectiles onto you, making it necessary to be on the lookout for them.

Another interesting idea might be projectiles which go up in an arc, and
then down.

Attacks in many of the side scrolling games from the 80's and 90's were not
actually too fast, ---- and I believe audio versions would not need to be
particularly slow, ---- afterall alien outback showed extremely good methods of positioning attacking enemies vertically, ---- no reason why it couldn't
be done horrizontally.

Also, on a more basic front, there is of course no reason to give the
enemies as much range as the player. In many graphical games, enemies
attacked simply by contacting the player, and it was the player job not to
let them get too close, ---- easier said then done with multiple enemies.
Others, had attacks which could vary in range from well outside the players'
attack range, to none at all.

If a creature had for instance a shorter range than the player, ---- but did
lots of damage, the player would need to employ a hit and run type of
stratogy, thus making avoiding attacks far more interesting than simply
hammering away and hopin not to be damaged.

Just some thoughts.

Beware the grue!