Hi Philip,
Very true. The problem is a difficult one to solve because we are
working with an audio only medium.  I've added some ways to avoid
attacks such as ducking or jumping over enemy attacks, but players of
Mysteries of the Ancients still tell me they don't know when to duck or
jump.  That's a problem I don't really know how to solve.
As you pointed out in a mainstream vidio game you can antisipate an
attack simply by watching what the enemy does. If an enemy turns and
aims a weapon at you you usually have a split second to duck, crouch,
step asside, jump, or something to avoid the attack.In the hand to hand
fighter games you can see a punch/kick coming and can hit the proper key
to block that attack and follow up with an attack of your own.   With
audio you really can't see the attack coming, and by the time the weapon
is fired, punch sound is playing, etc it is much too late to respond.
The only audio game I know of that was designed to alertyou of an attack
was ESP Whoop Ass.In that game when a punch is coming you would hear a
woosh of air out of the left, center, or right speakers and then you had
to try and block the punch while following it up with a punch of your
own. It works, but takes some practice to get the hang of. It still
isn't easy to block those punches even with the little woosh sound
before the actual punch.
A while back I wrote a little test program along the lines of Whoop Ass
using light sabers from Star Wars called sabers.  You would hear Darth
Vaders saber swing from the left, center, or right side then the
blow.You had to move the mouse left or right to block the saber attack
and then quickly swing it in the other direction and forward to place
your own attack.Problem was even with the voom sound signaling  Vader's
attack by the time the voom ended it was often too late to block so you
had to react extremely quickly. Fortunately, the mouse input was much
faster than keyboard input so that helped balance it out some.

Cheers!