Hi Dark,
Yeah, I was playing games like Castlevania, Double Dragon, and Megaman
at roughly the same age, and nobody seamed to mind the violence back
then. Although, I believe the violence and gore factor has gotten
worse over the years which has attracted public attention. It is one
thing to shoot an enemy and he vanishes off the screen, and quite
another to watch that enemies head explode blood and brains all over
the place. Of the two I wouldn't have a problem with my son playing a
game like the original Double Dragon, but I wouldn't necessarily give
him a game with lots of blood and gore at his current age.
The other reason some games have gotten public attention is some games
feature nudity. Many parents don't want their kids being exposed to
nude characters, and so are outraged at the game industry for not
creating clean and family oriented games.  Personally I think it just
comes back to the parents job to sensor their kids content and let
them have only what they feel the should be playing rather than taking
it out on the game industry.