Hi Peter,
Wen installing .Net applications you should install or update the .Net
Framework first before installing or upgrading anything else. The
exception is if you are running something like Windows 7 which already
has the latest updates to the .Net Framework and isn't a big issue
like it is on Windows XP or Vista where the framework needs to be
installed or upgraded before applying XNA and other updates.

HTH