Hi Dark,
Yeah, the ledges only drip when you are within a certain rrange of the
ledge. They don't necessarily drip if you are under them, or if they
are too far to reach. The best case example I can think of for this is
when you climb the rope from room 2 up into room 3, on the first
level, when you are about half way up you will start hearing a drip
off to your left and right. Those would be the ledges you need to jump
onto from the rope. Some people miss that sound cue I think, but it is
certainly there. However, it does blend very nicely into the
background.

Cheers!