Scanning wise while I used cissero for a while during my degree, i now am actually at a point in research where it's considderably easier to have a paid research assistant (I get a grant for this), sinse I now need to be able to use library search features (which are utterly inaccessible otherwise), and have someone with enough intelligence so that I can say "I'm looking for information on X, ---- can you flick through this book and see if it's useful?"

Thus scanning really isn't a priority with me at all.

Beware the grue!