Hi Thomas,
I agree with Dark that having separate missions could make the Star Trek game more interesting. If you had a mission set in the early era, you could also restrict that mission to the classes of Starships from that time and restrict the player from using later types.
 This would mean picking your StarShip after picking the mission.
Phil

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Final Conflict and Treck 2000

Hi Dark,
Well, all I was really saying is that it would be a good idea to keep
some kind of historical continuity between the classes of ships and
the missions available to a player.  You couldn't play the battle of
Wolf-359 using the U.S.S. Defiant, for example, because that
particular ship didn't even exist yet in the historical cannon.Neither
did any of the Sovereign-Class ships that showed up in the later
movies and on the later seasons of Deep Space 9.
However, if we have a generic battle with the Borg like starbase x was
attacked at 23:00 by a Borg ship and a fleet is being dispatched to
meet it okay. This constitutes a new story and may have no actual
historical context the way something specific like Wolf-359 does. So
you can pretty much use any class you like in that instance.
As far as zeroing in on any period of time in the Star Trek cannon I
hadn't actually said I would do that, but I am rather partial to the
TNG era. I really loved Next Generation, it was my favorite show, and
none of the other series quite matched up to it. Although, Voyager
wasn't too bad as it was more based in exploration where Deep Space9
was absolutely too focused on the Dominion War which I really got sick
of after a while. The thing TNG and Voyager had in common is that
constant exploration aspect that made it open  ended as far as stories
goes rather than being the same thing different episode.

Smile.