Hi Bryan,
Yeah, I know. I've been wavering on releasing my own Star Wars games
for that very reason. Lucas has some extremely restrictive licensing
on that particular trademark and even releasing a game as open source
wouldn't necessarily exempt someone from a lawsuit. It would only make
it less likely do to the fact no money was made off of it. However,
the same could be said for Fan Fiction, and there have been cases were
Fan Fiction authors have been dragged into court for even writing
about Star Wars and other trademarked materials for free. So it is
definitely a serious issue to take into account.