I wouldn't say SC IV went backward, but it did not go forward as expected. In my opinion, once a game reached a certain level of greatness, it's best for them to just stop making it otherwise, the backslide begins. I loved the first 3/4 Resident Evil titles, but after that, it's all the same old thing, different tricks and different angles, but overall, you no longer get the creepy feeling you get while you play RE 1- and that's a failure. Granted, I ahve not actually played SC IV, but I've played the SC Broken Destiny which is the PSP version of SC IV- to me, it's just too similar to SC III in general that it was almost a waste of time and money making the game. Speaking of the soul series...one thing I really love about it is that it's one of the very few Japanese fighting games that's been done in full English voices lol. To me, that's where Tekken 5 got real goofy- in story mode, sometimes a English fighter meets a Chinese fighter, both speaking their own language and yet carrying on the conversation as if that's natural rofl.
It went something like this if I remember it right:

Lei: 'Ah, so you're the one, I'm here to arrest you.'
Feng: 'Ah, soi ni ju se na ge da wu sing chung de ja huo! Ta hao la, jing tian, wo ju jeng ming wo chi she she shong jwei chiang de! Hahaha!' (Note, my Chinese spelling is mostly guesswork, I've forgotten most of them lol.)
But you get the idea...