Hi Eleanor,

While I think your paper, Gaming on a Collision Course,  was well
written I think the big problem is that it is all too easy for an
individual let alone a company to overlook problems/issues that they
personally don't have. If someone isn't totally blind, or know someone
who is totally blind, it is hard to convince that person it is in
his/her interest to spend the time and money on researching universal
acccess issues unless the stand to lose a substantial amount of money
because of it. That's where that 25% or 26% of baby boomers will come
in handy in a few years. If they do begin needing accessible games and
make their voices heard or stop buying games completely it is going to
make Nintendo and other companies take notice that they have a
financial crisis coming. Until that day comes they are going to
proceed as normal. To them your paper is only theoretical, and they
aren't looking at the big picture.

When it comes to the mainstream in general and access issues we are
second class citizens I'm afraid. For example, when Game Spot did the
access article on the games we can play the mainstream reaction was
cool, neet, and so on. However, when Game Spot did an article on the
case where that teenager sued one of the game companies, I want to say
Sony, over accessibility the mainstream reaction was derogatory and
down right hostile.

"How can a blind guy play games? This case is stupid, because we all
know blind people can't play vidio games. If they want games perhaps
they should just hire someone to make them some games and leave us
alone."

I have to say reading comments like that were pretty disheartening in
the extreme. It is not only the companies that treat us that way, but
the mainstream public has a pretty dim view of people with
disabilities and what we should have equal rights too as well.  There
is just something wrong with the public's attitude that says that we
are some kind of second class citizen and shouldn't ask or demand
anything from mainstream companies even though it is a form of
outright descrimination on their part.