Hi Phil,

Well, one of the reasons I actually added the sound region idea is
back in the early development days of Montezuma's Revenge people
complained that they could hear warp platforms, ropes, lava pits, etc
through walls even though they were in a totally different room or
area of the temple. Plus as Philip mentioned leaving all the sounds
running at once like that dramatically increases CPU usage and effects
system performance. I found using the sound regions does dramaticly
improve system performance as only the sounds of the objects in the
same rregion or area with you get played. So I'd be interested to here
your idea how to solve this problem.

Yeah, I can do as Philip said by setting a maximum distance a sound
will be attenuated before stoping a sound, but I also can see a case
where chasms, fires,  enemies, etc can be heard through walls, doors,
etc and that isn't always desirable either.