The good thing is in my opinion, that in most strr wars books there's enough back-referencing for you to get a general idea of what came before. So needing to read in chronological order isn't always necessary. As an example, I read the New Jedi Order first when I got into the books, but then I read the Thraun trilogy which takes place at least 20 years before. lol.