This is why I offer alternate keys.  For two reasons. One. Because of jaws,
and two because when I play I usually use I k j and l for arrows anyways.
It's just something I've gotten used to from shades of doom and other games.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:48 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] BGT and Screen Reader API's

Hi Liam,

Yes, but there are technical considerations here. You know as well as I do
that Jaws is infamously problematic with games using DirectX.
Accessible game developers have been telling their customers for years to
unload their screen reader or put it to sleep when running game x.
That's because they know Jaws especially causes games to lock up and doesn't
work well with DirectInput. Now, why would a developer turn around and try
to use the Jaws API for speech output knowing full well that combo is
technically going to be a desaster. I don't know how many VI users out there
use Jaws, who don't know a thing about programming, want support for Jaws
built in it still doesn't make it the right thing to do from a stability and
best practices point of view. For that reason I'm firmly against adding
direct support for Jaws in my games. The only way I might even consider such
a thing is if every single Jaws user called up Freedom Science Fiction and
screamed at them to fix their piece of junk screen reader.

Cheers!