Hi Charles,

The principle difference between a joystick and a game pad is this.
Joysticks are a single stick with x number of buttons on them. A game
pad is usually semi-flat with two small thumb sticks on top, a round
POV hat in the upper left-hand corner, and several buttons on top and
on the front of the unit. Some game pads might even have some sort of
slider control for changing speeds etc. Joysticks lack a POV hat,
slider controls, and so on.

In terms of an inexpensive game pad I stand by the Philips 2909 game
pads. They have a moddle with a retractable USB chord version, and
they also have a wireless game pad moddle. I reviewed the 2909 back in
2009, and it sounds like you purchased this game pad based on my
recommendation.

Another good option is the wireless Logitech Rumble Pad. I have used
one of these for a long time. Although on the expensive side they
offer something like 14 or 15 buttons, has a nice comfortable grip, a
POV hat, speed control, two thumb sticks, force feedback support, and
it is wireless so no need for chords etc.

Cheers!