Hi Ken
To answer your question, off the top of my head, when two sferes collide, the angle of boath sfere's movement should be taken into account. This asumes full on collision. Glancing collisions can get complecated, I think. With that I mean that they don't scrape past each other or something. The method for 2 vs 3d movement is basically the same, but the vectors have more components in 3d. To calculate the resulting movement you'll need to split the movement vector into components with sin and cos and then apply the components to the other sfere.

A simple  2d example:
a ball, heading 0, speed 1 hits a puck     heading 45, speed 2.
the balls x component =1 and y component =0 (sin(180 =0) and cos(0) =1)
the puck's x and y components =2*0.707
=1.414
(speed * sin or cos of the angle)
to calculate the effect on the ball:
new x component =1+1.414 =2.414. The y component will be 1.414. You can get the new angle with arc tangent and also get the new velocity with pythagoras.

hth. And feel free to correct any errors  I made.