Hi Chris.

you said: The game needs to have sufficient complexity, changeability and depth
that
it is an intellectual challenge to me, more than just a memorization of
sequences, environments and the like, but constantly evolving tactical
and/or strategic choices that are different every time I play the game.  I

This in fairness actually describes fighting games very well. Taking the savage gambit as a representation of what a mainstrem, complex fighting game such as streetfighter is like would be like assuming that a formular one racing car is like a wheel barrow.

Any decent beat em up on a console has far more than memorization involved.

Firstly, there is always a distance betwene you and your opponent, and you must be aware of the best way of crossing that distance in order to attack them, ---- indeed some characters may be better fighting at a distance due to having moves such as projectiles, while others may have special ways of crossing that distance like charge attacks or blying at their opponent.

Then, the distance involved is not just forward and back, but also vertical. Do you attack your opponent's head or feet? do you jump in or walk? and if you jump, how high?

Then, there is the question of what type of attack.

In most beat em ups, your character will have at least four, usually as many as six or eight, standard attacks such as punches and kicks. these all have different range, different priority over your opponent's moves, and may work better or wose depending upon the situation, ---- for instance, a slow, sweeping attack on the ground may be more useful when your opponent is already recovering from a hit.

Then there are even more moves, either moves which activate or become useable in different situations, such as pressing forward and punch when your opponent is close to throw them, or special moves which have different principles and may be activated by a combination of things, eg, fireballs.

There is then the question of blocking or parrying, and how you may counter your opponent when you've blocked their attack, ---- indeed certain characters are better at defense than attack.

Then, there is the question of how fast your character moves (again, a very variable property).

Bare in mind these moves differ for each character in the game, and thus the situations you have are nearly endless.

And what I have just described covers only the most basic aspects of a fighting game, indeed it barely covers street fighter 2 released in 1992, let alone some of the more modern games where characters have hundreds of moves and even (when you get to blazblu and similar games), their own playing styles with different stances, uses of the controller etc.

My brother is a great player of strategic and systematic games such as chess, and at the same time he is a huge fighting game fan, ---- -there is a very good reason for this.

So, this should at least let people know how complex the average modern beat em up actually is.

Personally, I am slightly more picky in the beat em ups I play, and prefer those with serious plot and atmosphere such as soul calibur, over things like smackdown vs raw, but certainly it's not because of a lack of complexity.

Beware the grue!