Hi tom.

i find this topic of realism interesting, however I personally wouldn't regard myself half as extreme on the topic.

I can think of some favourite games, mega man, metroid marrio (eespecially marrio), who's physics, in game objects and behaviour is totally insane!

in fact one hilarious artical dealing with video game violence I rememberfrom the early 90's which my brother read to me said:

"do you know that after the release of mario brothers, deaths by tutrtle shell throwing have gone up 300 percent?" ;d.

While I really appreciate realism in a game which tries to simulate a real world environment, i certainly wouldn't want all games to.

thus, when for instance you use the shotgun ice weapon in Mega man x, it makes infinite sense to me that it behaves as an ice shot which shatters on the walls and travels rapidly, rather than the way you describe a shotgun.

the same may be said for the Armoured vest in Super bomberman which makes you invinsible for a limited amount of time, or the sword fighting in golden axe, which while totally unrealistic, makes for some wonderful combo's and beat em up moves, such as headbutting a giant troll over a cliff.

Beware the grue!