Hi Damien,

That's a good point. Let's take the Cepstral voices. I don't think $30
USD is exactly sky high, but other than reading books etc they are too
slow for screen readers. I own a couple of them for Linux such as
Cepstral David, Callie, and Diane, and the voices are nice voices for
Linux. Thing is when using them with Orca for day to day screen reader
work they lag and they are quite choppy. The only time I really use
them is when reading a book or e-mail. Otherwise I use something like
ESpeak because it is fast and responsive even if the voice sounds very
robotic. The Cepstral SAPI 5 voices for Windows are just as choppy and
unresponsive with Jaws and Window-Eyes too. I know even in some of Jim
Kitchen's SAPI 5 text to speech games the Cepstral voices breakup and
get choppy so while they sound good, are inexpensive, they don't work
as well as prerecorded speech.

Another engine that appears to have issues is the Neospeech voices.
Neospeech Kate and Paul sound good, but both Philip and I have
experienced a weird problem with those voices and our game engines.
Every other SAPI 5 voice works correctly with my G3D engine but those
voices. I don't know why, haven't figured it out since my speech
module is according to the SAPI 5 docs, but those voices won't work
with my G3D Engine for some reason. So again we have good voices, but
are kind of a hastle if you ask me.