I think many people full stop don't bother to read the documentation, be they blind or sighted.
At 04:50 AM 4/17/2011, you wrote:
I'm not a developer, but I think there is a reason why a developer
would choose not to allow older programs to be redistributed.

As Damien has previously mentioned, these older titles were written in
a deprecated language by amateur developers. The code is difficult to
read, update, compile and run. I believe there is probably a
reputation issue. Developers don't want buggy and useless code
floating around the net that they wrote. True, Damien didn't write
these games, but by purchasing them, the code is now his
responsibility.

Another reason I've heard for developers refusing to redistribute
abandonware is that, even if they don't support it, people will still
contact them expecting help. If Damien did allow the games to be
distributed, I have no doubt that someone would download a copy
somewhere, encounter a problem, and send Damien an email saying, "Game
X won't run! Help!" Even if he emphasizes in the game documentation
that the games are abandonware, we've all seen first-hand that many
people in the blind community do not bother reading documentation or
other information that's right in front of them.