Hi Thomas.
Just my two sens worth :
I study computer sience and I'm currently third year. While we use c
and java as our main development languages, python is a compulsary
module too, simply because proof of concepts are so easy to program.
Also doing tournaments like IT challenge or Google codeJam is much
easier with python.
As for braces, python has a similar issue with indentation, which I
guess leads to better looking code, but I find annoying.