To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Regarding sapi and BGT

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the post. What you said makes a lot of sense. I have
discovered myself that when I was using C# .net to write the G3D
engine I had no issues with Sapi at all. Neospeech Kate, Neospeech
Paul, etc worked fine. When I converted it to C++ those voices started
giving me problems. So I agree the problem is most likely do to the
fact we are accessing them directly through the C++ libraries rather
than a strictly com implamentation the way other non-C++ languages
handles Sapi 5.

While we are on the topic of Sapi voices I just discovered something
else that will give you and other gamers something of a headache. I've
found out that Windows 7 64-bit has real troubles with older 32-bit
Sapi 5 voices. The only Sapi voice that is reliable on Windows 7
64-bit is Microsoft Anna 5.4. I think this will possibly present
developers some hastles with Sapi in the future. Can anyone confirm
this issue?

Cheers!

Hi all,

This message is intended for those of you who either write games in BGT that
use Sapi, or play BGT based games that make use of it.

There has been a long standing issue where certain voices don't work well
with BGT, obviously affecting all games written with it. For quite some time
I had no clue why this was, and just put it down to improperly configured
voices and the like. But I have discovered that the issue stems from the
fact that I am using the C++ Sapi interface directly, as I am told that
programs written in languages such as VB or even JavaScript do not suffer
from the same problems. Thus, I have concluded that I need to redesign the
entire Sapi codebase in the engine which is what I am now in the process of
doing. Instead of calling upon the C++ Sapi interface directly I am now
using what is known as the COM IDispatch interface, which is basically a
convenient way of accessing COM objects without knowing their API in
advance. This is what all of these other languages do, and it seems as
though voices such as NeoSpeech Kate and Paul were written with IDispatch in
mind.

As a result of this rewrite, the next version of BGT will allow you to list all the available voices on the system and select them on the fly, as can be seen in games such as Entombed and all of Jim Kitchen's freeware Sapi based titles. I will also endeavour to include features such as changing the pitch of the voice, which is fairly easy to do under the hood and give the user a
simple pitch property that they can manipulate.

Hope this is of interest to some, and thanks for reading.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall