Hi Charles,

The problem with that approach is that the system won't last forever.
The older the PC the harder it is to get parts for it  if it breaks
down, and I've seen enough PCs die over my lifetime to know it is
often more expensive to fix it than it is to throw it away and buy a
new e-machine. Which is really the problem here.

A persons XP machine that works fine today, can be retired as a gaming
machine, while the owner goes out and buys a new Windows 7 64-bit
machine with the works. Maybe that lasts a couple of years, and then
the old XP machine breaks down. The problem  here is that the hardware
is rapidly changing all the time and you can't just go to Best Buy and
get  compatible hardware. You may have to hit Ebay and get a used
piece of hardware  or pay extra for an unused older piece of hardware
to replace the one in the broken down PC. Wouldn't it be simplar if
the game or application was regularly maintained by  the developer so
you could just install it on Windows 7 64-bit and forget the other XP
machine?