I had two right next to one another in an area that was crawling with Gobs. I lost both of them practicall right away. The initially sow up in Setor P but I'm never to the point in my settlement yet where I'd feel comfortable sparing a few people to be soldiers. And given how long it takes metal ore and bars to be produced it usually takes me quite a while to even get to that point anyway.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] I broke castaways, plus soldiers and knights

I've got to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the strategies from you guys. I love how, every now and then, one of you would suggest something I don't normally do in my own strategies, but when you explained it, it would seem like such a good idea that all I want to do it go apply it to my own game. Haha, I am so pleased that nearly everyone can play the game differently, because there is no single Right! Way! to succeed.

The idea of having no cook, and just assigning one when it is needed, scares the crap out of me. I don't think I would have the guts to go that route, but honestly, if you can balance it without killing your people, that Is! an extra worker to help in other areas. Very efficient, just also very scary, for me at least haha!

There is a whole different side of things, that we never asked Bryan about. How are your buildings arranged? Even if you have the same number of peasants, buildings, and knights, you could have very different results depending on how they are arranged. If Dark puts a guard tower right near the Goblins, but you do not, his knights will be considerably more effective at defense because they won't waste so much time walking back and forth. This also holds true for peasants moving supplies around. The peasants will work on construction related, food related, and core resource related jobs first (in that order), so to do other jobs you need more peasants than those jobs are requiring. If they have to all walk farther, your settlement might not have the extra manpower to do other things, while another settlement might, even with the same number of workers. This might not be the case, but I do think building arrangement is worth taking a look at.

I was telling Dark a little earlier, I'm looking into a way to manually adjust the job priorities for your peasants. It will be a bit time consuming for me to do, but it will give people a little more freedom. As someone who has actually Been! adjusting priorities, albeit from a coding standpoint, it is very easy to kill the whole town by saying something as innocent as "Carry wheat before you carry vegetables". The effects ripple out in ways you don't always predict, so even when I add this feature, I will recommend against using it, except for people who feel comfortable dabbling into this more advanced, and risky, direction. lol!