I'm guessing they were simply overwhelmed.  Did you have the towers at a choke
point in the terrain?  I generally try to position my towers in places where
the Goblins will have to funnel through narrow places between forests.  In an
unrelated question, before your knights were slaughtered by Goblins, did they
say Ni?  :)