Hi Phil.

I'm afraid I don't agree. "you" meaning the group of castaways are on the beach, but "you" the player are simply viewing the map and selecting a place for the settlement, therefore the view starts with the curser at the most logical place which is top left corner at A1.

Afterall, your people don't walk from a1 around the map as you move your curser, it's just a review method, in fact the curser starts on a1 in mission 2.

i'm afraid to me, siting the curser at J15 or somewhere on water would just make for needless confusion of new players of the game, and also make less clear the relationship the curser viewing the map has to the people your controlling.

Beware the grue!