I had originally thought about clearing the resources entirely, but I felt it
would limit what I could do with maps.  With the way they are now, I can keep
control over how much land is available to be built on and how many map
entrances exist that allow Goblins in.  Because you don't directly control your
lumberjacks, miners, and stone masons, it would be quite unfair to realize they
had just cleared away some new spot and Goblins were now pouring into your land
from a brand new spot.  I do also like being able to force people to spend more
time planning out where is best to build.  If land cleared, I very much doubt
anyone would ever need to worry about positioning their buildings around the
geography of the map.