As I said Jeremy, I wonder if this is another thought for the desasters and events in normal and above difficulty, eg several people get sick from poluted water and you must now use another water source, all travel times temporarily increased, or alternatively floods cause rivers to rise and allow your people to sink new wells, travel times temporarily decreased and crop yield goes up.

Beware the grue!