Hi Thomas,
unfortunately that's not the end of the story.
I can give the next piece of information only for German voices, so if you can't understand my language it is of no use to give you any voice samples. There is a site which does extensive voice comparison by recording three sentences with each voice ever created in German.
This site offers the MP3 samples for listening and downloading.
I am sure that you know that RealSpeak voices cover the German language. Up to now there have been two German voices. One male and one feemale. Both can be bought via nextup.com with a TextAloud license for $45 each. Every RealSpeak voice from nextup.com is a SAPI voice. The only requirement is the TextAloud license. But you might also know that the RealSpeak voices are also available for mobile devices and for Talks and maybe also Mobile Speak. I don't have a smartphone, but what I know is that the male German voice does sound differently in its smartphone version compared to the PC version, and it is not due to a bitrate or other quality setting difference.
Furthermore RealSpeak and Vocalizer seem to be two different products.
Thus the reason why JAWS doesn't offer the third German voice, or the second Russian one, which also applies to nextup.com. The worst about Vocalizer is not the high price, but the fact that the quality of the voices seems to be worse than the JAWS versions of the same voices. And voices like the Australian English ones and the Indian English voice can't be bought via the Koba online shop, but you have to request them, if you wanted them, while the RealSpeak variant of them is either available for JAWS without SAPI or from nextup.com with SAPI probably in better quality. If you have a computer with a virtual machine running, I'd suggest that you download the demo versions of Koba Speech 2 and listen for yourself, so you can compare one voice at a time without damaging your primary SAPI core when trial time of thirty days runs out or when the base Koba Engine is still unstable (might be still the case).