Hi Tom.

This is very true, and in fact the reason I use orphius alan for Hal but realspeak daniel for sapi, even though Hal does have the daniel voice as under voacalizer, it is just too laggy.

The only problem is that as far as screen readers go, someone trying a screen reading program for the first time whether that is Hal, Jaws or whatever, will not know that problems with lag or lack of speed are due to the voice and not the program.

This came up quite recently. The lady who is training her guide dog at the same time I am worked very seriously in It before losing her site four years ago, so has a pretty major typing speed.

she said she'd tried Hal and jaws, but used jaws because she found Hal laggy, yet when I explained this was because Hal runs with the vocalizer daniel voice by default and showed her the speed of Orphius, she was most surprised, ----- I have in fact informed dolphin of this as well, but they just see the higher voice quality making the difference and ignore the lag issues.

I might actually suggest they put a warning somewhere in the setup wizard, just to let people know that the voice reaction speed of Vocalizer isn't the fault of the supernova program but of the voice.

I must confess, I stil! don't see why they didn't stick with the orphius natural voices. The orphius synthetic ones are pretty dire, but the natural ones like Alan, Carol, Brad and Lucy are a really nice compromise betwene quality and speed.

You can stil download them from Dolphin, but now they don't even ship with supernova by default for some reason.

Beware the grue!

dark.