Hi Dave,

I'm afraid not. I'm not kidding. I wasn't aware of DirectX 10's legal
status until I looked it up. That's why I didn't make a bit deal of
piracy on list as I was unaware of the legality of redistributing
DirectX 10 components myself until I checked.

Basically, from what I gather because DirectX 10, in particular
Direct3D 10, was specifically designed for Windows Vista and later it
has become an integrated API for newer versions of Windows. IE that
means it falls under the Microsoft Windows End User License Agreement.
As a result since it is considered to be a Windows Vista specific
feature packaging it for Windows XP is considered piracy because you
did not legally pay for a Windows upgrade and thus do not legally own
any rights to the DirectX Direct3D 10 libraries etc. I admit I could
be completely wrong about this, but that's what I gathered from its
status from what I've read.

In short, it is a paid upgrade you must pay for by purchasing Windows
Vista or later. If you don't pay for an upgrade of Windows you don't
legally have any rights to those DirectX components specific to Vista
and Windows 7. I know, its crooked as a dog's hind leg, but that's
Microsoft for you. Anything to make a buck, and just another way to
make people upgrade their copy of Windows. Just another shining
example of capitalism at work.

Cheers!