Philip,

What good reasons do you have for encrypting a configuration file?  I
figure there must be some, but it personally makes no sense to me.

In my opinion, a user should be able to edit the application config
file as easily as possible (which usually means plain text with
limited markup or straight text key-value pairs.)  Further, they
should be able to simply delete the file, or paste ten thousand lines
of garbage into it if they wish, and the application should still
start up and do its best to use defaults and ignore stuff it doesn't
understand.

If you're encrypting the file to store passwords, you're doing it
wrong.  Passwords should always be stored as a salt/hash data pair.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com