Hi Willem,

Well, one major advantage of storing settings etc in the registry is
user account control compatibility. As I think you know already
Windows Vista and Windows 7 won't allow you to save files into the
application's installation directory unless user account control is
disabled.This presents a problem for end users because they have to
compromise their security in order to use applications that aren't
fully UAC compliant.

Another advantage of the registry is user specific settings. If we
have a game setup on a network, for example, each user name would have
its own local user registry meaning the game can be customized for
that specific user without effecting anyone elses settings.

The only other way to do it is to write the data to a file in the end
user's application data folder. That works, but most programming
articles I have read generally prefer storing external data in the
registry whenever possible.

HTH