Hi Will,

In answer to your first question most if not all mainstream companies
give a specific release date when taking preorders. So when I or
anyone else orders a product we know when the product will begin
shipping, and of course they have the resources to get the product
done on time. They have teams of programmers working on a single
product, usually can add over time, etc in order to insure everything
comes out on a specific release date. A private game developer such as
myself can't necessarily do that because programming games isn't my 9
to 5 job, nor am I getting paid for overtime etc.

That said, its not unreasonable for a blind gamer to place a preorder
and expect a release date of somekind. Its what most companies do, and
its not very fair to the customer to place a preorder and not get any
indication when they can expect a return for their payment. Even if
the release date is six months or a year away they at least know what
to expect before placing an order.

HTH