Hi clemment.

On the issue of information and practice, I'm afraid you've missed my point rather.

My point is not that a blind person cannot! learn to do combos, get a feeling for distance etc, quite obviously people can. it is that lacking the visual information which is available on screen to sighted game players, this initial learning and acquisition of the skills is much harder and takes more effort, simply! because a blind person has far less access to the required information.

a sighted player for instance would be very unlikely to cary on with the movements of a combo if they saw that the opponent was not close enough to be hit.

a sighted player could instantly see when they were in the corner of a stage, and know that they had to escape or risk a corner trap, even if they'd never played that game before in their life, simply because of how the screen scrolls and where the edge of the stage was.

while I don't doubt the work you've put in on beat em ups or the skills you've acquired, I'm afraid I am less sure of your ability to judge the relative ease of playing a game with a beat em up with! vision as opposed to without it, simply because it concerns a lot of information which you have not had direct experiencial access to.

As I said, this is not a cryticism of your skills at the games or the work that you've done, sinse you've only ever had the one experience and not the other.

as someone who plays from a low vision perspective, I perhaps do have a little more insite here, though even I imagine there are stil a great many factors about the visual experience of games I do not get myself.

as to audio games, the simplicity factor is partly as we have said on list before, due to the resources that have been spent on creating the games, and indeed should the same mega millions ever be spent on developing an audio game that would probably not apply, just as pc indi graphical games are far simpler than their mainstream counterparts.

The other reason though is that most audio games are what I have called in the past "reaction based" rather than "judgement based"

ie, they simply rely upon you getting a certain sequence of events into your head and learning to react in one, and only one correct way to those events as soon as possible.

here a ship, center it blow it up! rince and repeat.

"judgement based" games, such as most graphical games are, require you to actually learn about, experience and judge a set of factors and decide from a variety of actions which is the best thing to do in a given situation.

what we need are audio games that follow the second model.

I am however pleased to say that games like Swamp, castaways, time of conflict, the in developement tactical battle and even perilous hearts with it's judgement of animal distance and weapon selection deffinately seem to be heading that way, even if games in the past like superliam have not.
Beware the greu!