Well I have  sighted friends on both sides.
the first one  is a hard core gamer and is on my radio programs.
He uses steam loads and for the most part likes it except it does crash on ocation. Another I have lothes it because of its requiring to continously update a game before it can even start sometimes.
Yes tom steam is good for what it is.
The show I co host on is totally based in steam and if you have the type of payed premium account the broadcaster on the show has, then you sertainly can do loads of things. You can get random betas, free weekends just like phone calling and free games discounts, the works.
So yeah it makes sence.
On the other hand steam is just a protocal.
I am not sure if valve would allow us to make our own client.
After all we won't be using the graphic side of it.