On 3/16/11 1:18 PM, Laura Hale wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Erik Moeller <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
>     IMO this list was started as an inclusive forum for discussion of
>     gender gap among equal participants. Discrimination by gender doesn't
>     make sense to me.
>
>
> Erik,
>
> Can I ask you a personal question?  What gender are you? If you aren't
> female, why are you participating in this conversation?

        Erik is the Deputy Director of the Wikimedia Foundation.  As to why he 
is on this list and participating in the conversation, it is because the 
overall health of Wikimedia projects is his primary concern.

        My reasons are similar: I am the User Interface Designer employed by 
the Foundation.  I believe my paramount mission is increase overall 
participation and collaboration.  The male/female gendergap falls into 
the purview of that mission.

        If anything I have said has made you uncomfortable, I apologize; 
however, I do not necessarily believe that I should stop my (admittedly 
limited) participation in this conversation because of my gender.

_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to