I think the community behind this proposal is ready to accept defeat at this
point. With DataStax' objection, the project simply can't be brought under the
auspices of the ASF unless DataStax reverses its stance.

Personally, I'm somewhat discouraged to see a company I once held in high
regard in  terms of supporting OSS and the ASF take this action. This
represents a further erosion of that respect. It is what it is. I can't fault
DataStax for trying to protect their bottom line. They are well within their
rights here. It could be considered a stain on their relationship with the ASF,
or not.

The community seems committed to moving forward with a fork, whether it is
considered hostile or friendly. From discussions I've been privy to, if
DataStax were to reverse their stance, this community would come back to the
ASF in a heartbeat. There's a community behind this code, and they deserve the
right to move forward.

I think they will, unfortunately not at the ASF. At least for now. Nothing
would please me more than to see this community be able to come to Apache.

-Taylor