Quoting Roland Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello Avik,

I'd have been happy seeing POI move to a TLP. However, some of the
comments in this thread seem to preclude that possibility either.  I
think his leaves the community between a rock and a hard place ... I
dont want us to be subsumed as a commons project

I don't think that the level at which POI resides will make any
difference. I admit that at the beginning of this thread and
after Andy's first responses I also thought "hey, let's get them
promoted to TLP and we're finally rid of these discussions in
Jakarta". I've since had time to reconsider and realize that
this is not a solution. And actually I don't think that it is
even an option. POI is not running the Apache way. Promoting
it to TLP or "hiding" it in commons will not change anything.
If it were a TLP, you'd be having basically the same discussions
directly with the board. Do you think they'll look more kindly
on failure to follow the established Apache procedures? If we
made a proposal to promote POI now, I would expect the board
to reject it and tell us "make POI work in Jakarta before you
promote it to TLP".

A release can go wrong all right. That this wasn't detected by
the POI community itself is reason for worry. But the kind of
things that went wrong, like files being in the wrong place or
missing is even more reason for worry. The copyright statements
on the POI web site indicate that the project has been around
since 2002. Does that mean that in 4 years nobody cared to write
a build process that generates release jars conforming to
Apache standards?

This is completely out of line (to say the least). It isn't as if the release contained encumbered code, or didn't include source. If I were to use your level of rhetoric, I'd say this sounds like a witch hunt. Maybe you want to help out on the list, rather than presume that the POI developers want to become a commons subproject. How presumptuous!

Way back when the POI committers were among the first to conduct an audit of its dependencies. The results were on the old wiki....

As to voting on files, I'm yet to see a board resolution that makes it mandatory. So yes, that's a suggestion that the POI team will surely consider (read the dev list archives, we've done that for major releases earlier... the current release is considered alpha for a reason [yes i know, its still a legal release] ), but is not reason to bash four years of existence on a project.

Regards
-
Avik