On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:02:44PM +0200, Daniel Egger wrote:
> gimp-help is written in DocBook/SGML

It should be DockBook/XML :)

> which is converted to HTML to be
> suitable for online-browsing and the help-browser plugin for GIMP. There
> are HTML and PS/PDF DSSSL stylesheets which can be used to produce
> either the HTML or some (buttugly) PS/PDF file; also we have an
> experimental DocBook->LaTeX converter written in python by me which
> tends to produce much better PDF output.

Yes, I have seen it, but I think that it is better XSLT instead of
python, because XSLT is more easy and it was designed for this kind of
jobs :-). However, XSLT could be insufficient if the LaTeX generated is
very complex. The loops and conditionals in XSLT are very basics, and
variables and parameters are limited.

> The DocBook source is written such that the conversion to XML is merely
> changing the DTD to an XML one; in short: it is already supposed to be
> valid XML. It just hadn't been done so far because the tools were not
> mature and fast enough last time I looked but if they were now....
> So what we need is:
> - A featurerich (and possibly FAST!) XSLT processor

I love sablotron. It is fast and very easy to use. Also, it has almost
every feature of the XSLT standar.

> - XSLT files and CSS stylesheets to produce XHTML which looks nice in
>   nowadays webbrowsers

When you "XSLT files" you must say "XSLT file". Unlike DocBook, with
XSLT we only will be able to produce one file, instead of one by

Anyway, it will be easy :)

Well. If you want, look my work in http://gimp.es.gnome.org (spanish).
The tutorials (http://gimp.es.gnome.org/manuales.php) are written in a
new XML vocabulary. For instance, the XML file
will generate http://gimp.es.gnome.org/manuales/ilustracion/ using the

> - XSLT files which produce output which is grokkable by the (new?)
>   helpbrowser plugin; That means we either need simple HTML files for
>   something like the current plugin or some other (new?) simple
>   fileformat which allows for additional features which also need to be
>   defined. This has to be discussed with the person(s) who will code
>   that (and that certainly won't be me).

So we need two XSLT files

> This need a lot of planning and someone with your experience can
> possibly bring in some thoughts which would be really appreciated.

Of course :). If I'm useful for GIMP I will work here. What do you need?

Ayose Cazorla León
Debian GNU/Linux - setepo