On 21 Sep 2003, at 15:46, David Neary wrote:
> Branko Collin wrote:
> > On 21 Sep 2003, at 14:12, David Neary wrote:

> > > Excuse me - the shortcut I'd like to change is Redo, which is
> > > currently Ctrl-R. Most apps in the Linux desktop space are now
> > > adopting some or all of the GNOME HIG in this regard. So - to
> > > correct myself - I'd like to change Ctrl-R to Ctrl-Shift-Z.
> >
> > But since when did GIMP _users_ all start living there? Do we know
> > what the guidelines for other platforms are? How useful are the HIG?
>
> This was also something that was addressed in the old threads, I
> believe... Here's the mail in question.
> https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2003-June/008870.h
> tml

Well, certainly both current practice and HIGs are against me. Quite
frankly, the former weighs heavier with me.

Still, it feels unintuitive somehow. Usually, with a complementary
function, you get to see an immediate difference. For instance, the
Print Preview dialog is clearly different from the Print dialog.
Having Ctrl-P and Shift-Ctrl-P for these makes sense, because if you
accidentally hit the wrong keys, you have immediate feedback that
shows your mistake.

However, the difference between hitting Shift-Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-Z is
not always apparent, unless you always have the Undo History open and
visible. So it would make sense to have the complementing function
under a shortcut that won't be easily accessed by mistake.

Anyway, I don't think we're going to agree on this, so as far as I am
concerned, go ahead and make the change.

BTW, I read in the Windows HIG that several shortcuts per function
are supported, for reasons of backward compatibility. Would it be
possible to have something similar in the GIMP?

--
branko collin